17 May 2016

Recently Read | April-May

 Carrying on with some more book reviews. I've made my way through quite the stack in the last couple of months so I want to make sure I get caught up before I lose track of everything.

All of these books have been read between april-the beginning of may. I've read quite a few more since taking these photos though so if you're interested in these type of posts let me know and I'll get those reviews up asap! :)




The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne.
I've actually never read this book before. I'm not sure if it is still required reading in school, but I think everyone should read this at some point in their life. It is a romance set in the 1800's when a girl is convicted of adultery and has to wear a scarlet letter on her breast for the rest of her life. She and her daughter Pearl have to live with her shame, and the story goes on to show who the father is and how they carry on with their life. I don't want to spoil anything, but it is a really good read! 
Rate 4/5.


Lost & Found by Brooke Davis.
Lost & Found tells the story of when a little girl (Millie Bird) gets lost in a department store due to her mother grieving the death of her husband and not coping well with it. She meets an old man (Karl the Touch-Typist) and woman (Agatha Pantha). Three people at different stages in their life, dealing with their own grief. It shows the adventure they go on to find Mille's mom and return her home. I found this book very humorous and heart warming. The writing is kind of similar to room in the fact that whilst reading Millie's chapters the story is told from her 7 year old point of view (same goes on for the other characters). I really enjoyed this book. Really great summer read!
Rate 4/5.


Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella.
This is the only young adult novel I have read recently. I picked it up for its hype to be honest. It's about a girl named Audrey who suffers from anxiety. When her brother brings a friend home she starts taking interest in him but doesn't have to strength to talk to him because of her mental illness. The whole book goes on to show her overcoming her anxiety and all the struggles she goes through. I found this book really captured how hard anxiety can be, especially at a younger age. I wish I had read something like this when my own anxiety was at its peak. The writing is very comical. You really fall in love with her whole family. 
Rate 3/5.

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes.
By far my favorite book in this post! I ended up reading this book in 2 days (wish I had savored it a bit more!). It is the story of a girl (Lou) who loses her job and ends up being a caretaker for a man (Will) who is paralyzed from a freak accident from years ago. Will has lost all hope and has become suicidal. Lou attempts to bring happiness back into his life, and whilst doing so they fall in love. It is really such a beautiful story, and I really fell in love with all the characters! The writing is some of the best I've come across this year and I can't wait to read more of Jojo Moyes' books! The movie for this book comes out on June 3rd and I am practically counting down the days! The cast looks incredible (Emilia Clarke, like come on ;))! 
Rate 5/5.

The Fortune Hunter by Daisy Goodwin.
I feel I've already touched on this book before so I wont go on for too long. The Fortune Hunter is  a romance set in the late 1800's. It's pretty much your average love triangle story but for some reason I really loved this book! I really took a liking to all the characters. The writing is very detailed, but I didn't mind it. It's very intriguing and I could hardly put it down. Definitely recommend if you're a hopeless romantic like myself!
Rate 5/5.


The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath.
I was so excited to finally read Sylvia Plath's book, and it certainly did not disappoint!  The Bell Jar is essentially a semi-autobiographical. It shows how she ended up having a mental breakdown and ended up in a mental hospital. It's very eye-opening and also heart breaking to see everything the felt (like being trapped in a bell jar struggling the breathe) and went through. It's certainly not a happy read, but it's still very powerful. 
Rate 5/5.
Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. 
I've finally indulged in the world of Jane Austen. I'm really enjoying it so far! This was the first book of hers that I read, and although it's not my favorite it was a really great introduction to her writing. I didn't exactly fall in love with any of the characters in this book and at times I was a little bored. It was a hard one to keep on picking up, not because I hated it but just because it didn't hold my interest. In the end though, I really liked it. I'm happy that I carried on with it, because now I am loving all her books! 
Rate 3/5.

Pride and Prejudice.
Another book I am ashamed to have never read before. I watched the movie years ago but couldn't understand the dialogue, so although I knew the ending it was nice to read the story and have a better understanding of this beautiful story. This was another book that I could not put down. It's really gripping and captivating. It was never dull to me at all. I would definitely say this is one of my top 5 favorite books of all time!
Rate 5/5.



So those are all the books I've been reading and loving. Let me know if you've read any of these before! I love a good chat about books ;). 

post signature
Share:

No comments

© Tutus & Pearls | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig